Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tales from Costa Rica




In the mist of cooking up some yet to be determined offspring....John took off to Costa Rica for a week of surf lessons (a.k.a. "surf camp") with his brothers Tom and Joe. Sadly, my skills only improved marginally, but progress was made. The waves were great...small at first and slowly building during the week. The experience is drastically different than our usual day to day grind at the hospital.


So, while Melissa was home enduring lots of what we fondly call "pokies" (shots), John was surfing and fishing. All of this leads me to a new Costa Rican "tale", a superstition if you like. It turns out that if you or your spouse is pregnant...you wont catch a Marlin..a fact that I only found out after the fact when my brothers and I spent a day fishing. Sure...we caught some small stuff, but when we actually saw a large sailfish right next to the boat and maneuvered to get it interested in our bait...it just headed the other direction! That is when the guide let me know this little known fact of Costa Rican lore! My brother Joe reminded me that it is why they call it "fishing" rather than "catching... Regardless, we had a great time.

My only cell service was if I went to a particular spot on the beach in the evening and stood very still so I could talk to Melissa every evening. I would send her these pictures of the sunset and wished that she was sharing it with me. I am ever hopeful that the costa rican superstition holds true..and we will know in a few days if that is the case.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I am glad you had fun with the brothers, John. Joe said he had a great time! Dave and I will be praying for your antcipated offspring. :) I am just glad you didn't catch a Marlin. Miss you guys and hope to see you soon.

Casey and Rebecca said...

I'm sure her time is coming very soon. I loved the pictures of the sunsets, they are absolutely gorgeous. We look forward to seeing you in March, and hopefully there will be news then of the offspring.

Brooke Bowen said...

How crazy to be in such a small boat in the middle of the ocean! That water looks amazing and I think that I need to put that on my places to go! I cant' wait to hear how things are going in a few days!